Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Cranberry Cinnamon Quinoa

Classes have officially started and I'm in denial. CLASS? SCHOOL? WORK? ay. Anyways, classes are good, but what happens after classes is obviously better, one of those things being snack time. I finished class the other day and I was really hungree, naturally. After my big grocery shop the day before, I figured it was finally time to break in my new kitchen. I pulled out my new pots and pans, broke out my favorite apron, and opened up my cupboard to make something niiiiice. I had some major reading to do so I needed a power snack, nothing flimsy or jokey, a serious power snack. What better thing to snack on then something to fuel my brain power? I'm talking pure protein baby, specifically quinoa. For those of you not familiar with quinoa, it's a whole grain that is protein packed and has the consistency mixed between couscous and brown rice. It's a great base to totally spice up, and that is what I did. I cooked the quinoa in chicken broth with some cippolinni onions, added some cranberries, and spiced it with cinnamon. I'm telling you the chicken broth here is KEY. And cinnamon in savory? Am I CRAY? No, I'm genius.
Cranberry Cinnamon Quinoa

 Ingredients
2 cups quinoa
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cippolini onions, diced
1/4 cup cranberries
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt

Recipe: Add the quiona, chicken broth, and onions in a sauce pan. Bring it to a boil. Once it boils, reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 45 minutes, until liquid is totally evaporated and quinoa is soft. Remove lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir in the cranberries, garlic powder, salt, and cranberries. Eat hot.

protein POWA
xoxo
hungreegirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment