Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lately I've Been Pretty Shellfish...

    And the reason I've been shellfish is because I've been making up for lost time. When I was 8 years old I was diagnosed with an allergy to all shellfish. Lobster, my favorite food on the planet, was now totally off limits. Add shrimp, crab, scallops, and clams to the list and I was devastated. After being allergic for 10 years, my usual reaction around shellfish started to fade. While I didn't dare try any, my itchy eyes and skin rash lessened and soon failed to appear. I went to the allergist, sat in his office for 6 hours and ate 1/32 of a piece of shrimp. Nothing happened, SUCCESS. I was free.
     Since that day when I see shellfish on the menu I order it. Not only have I resorted to eating my old favorites, I've opened up to a whole new realm of the sea world. Oysters and mussels now constantly graze my palette as I attempt to make up for the last 10 years. Cold blue point oysters topped with red vinegar, horse radish, and cocktail sauce are a refreshing and cooling way to start any meal. Heaps of shrimp, mussels, and clams bundled in creamy tomato sauce and saffron rice is now what I dream about. Mussels steamed in thai coconut milk with onions and scallions lingers in my thoughts and on my taste buds.
    Shellfish, once my worst nightmare, now haunts my dreams.



From my dreams, to your plate.
xo
Hungree Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment