Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gingerbread Journey Begins

Okay so I've made a gingerbread house once before but I guess I forgot how hard it was. Because seriously, its REALLY hard. So many steps, so many measurements...architecture isn't usually my thing, by I'm doing my best. So last night I made the dough and let it chill over night in the fridge. This afternoon I made my own templates for the shapes of the walls and roofs (how crafty am I, I mean really?) and I rolled out the dough and cut the shapes of each template. While the cookies baked and cooled I whipped up the frosting. When I was little and we decorated gingerbread houses I remember having constantly sticky fingers and eating more of the frosting then what possibly went on to my house. I made a thick royal icing, I mean really thick like cement, to ensure that the house would hold. When assembling, make sure you have an assistant, this is where my sous chef baby JJ comes in, because assembling a house cannot be done alone, successfully at least. Well after much struggling and a lot a lot of icing, my house is standing. Wooo! Next step: decorate!

(Ignore the cups, they are keeping the roof in place until the frosting firms up)


Thats my exasperated face...it was VERY hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment