Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Tampopo

Forks: 6
Price: $
try delivery!!
269 S. 44th street

Yesterday was just one of those really good eating days I guess. I was in the quad scrolling through campus food menu when the text came. "Dinner?" YES. It was just what I had been waiting for. Motivation to move out of the comfort of the quad and go for something yummy. Within seconds, the plan was made and I was on my way to meet Whitney and her friend Laura for dinner. We were headed to Tampopo. The only reason I've heard of Tampopo is because my friend Nicole literally orders it in every day, so I was excited to check out where 80% of her meals come from. A small hole-in-the-wall joint located in 44th street, Tampopo is a byo that serves some classic Japanese dishes. The restaurant was small, but very clean. I got a glance of the kitchen behind the counter and it was clean, not crowded, and looked very under control. The menu was simple and easy to follow. Sushi, rice bowls, udon and ramen soups, and some specials. I love Japanese food because when done properly it's clean, crisp, and light, and you don't feel like you need to curl up for 5 years after you eat it. I ordered the vegetable rice bowl and a special vegetarian roll. They gave us a buzzer and we sat down to wait, and the buzzer rang about 7 minutes later. The food came on a plastic lunch tray and I brought our order to our small table. The food was beautiful and looked just like Japanese food should. The rice bowl was some brown rice topped with tons of mixed vegetables like bean sprouts, yams, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and onions in a light brown sauce. It was flavorful and light.

My roll was pretty and clean and the pickled daikon in it gave it an unusual and welcomed flavor and crunch.

Whitney got the something called the bim-bim-bop which was brown rice topped with a fried egg, beef, and some julienne vegetables. Once again it was clean and crisp and hit the spot.

Laura got a rice bowl with chicken teriyaki and an egg as well.

All the food was refreshing and well prepared and had you feeling you were being genuinely healthy. I loved it and will now be joining Nicole for all of her daily Tampopo order ins!

No comments:

Post a Comment