Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Perfectly Roast Chicken

When someone asks me what my last meal on planet earth would be, I have no hesitation in giving my answer: A perfectly roasted chicken with vegetables. Its simple, its elegant, and its SO delicious. Nothing is better then a beautifully roasted chicken with a tender and moist inside and a crispy skin. Add vegetables that were cooked in the same pan and they absorb all of the marinade, juices, and flavors that the chicken gives off. Honestly, it's heaven. To me, roast chicken is synonymous with home. Growing up, it was our staple meal every Friday night. My mom is famous for her Friday Night Dinner's among my friends, so roast chicken not only is the best meal in the entire world, but it is also the most comforting and soul-warming thing on the planet. When you eat it, you feel like you're eating a bite of home. Weird analogy, but it works, I swear. Last night I decided to take the reins on this one and cook what would be my last meal. Its beyond easy, takes little preparation, and makes you look extremely impressive. Add it to your go-tos and thank me later for feeding you something that tastes like cozy slippers and warm blankets.


My Last Meal Status Perfectly Roasted Chicken
(in my pix I made 2 but the recipe is scaled for 1)

Ingredients
1 full chicken, washed and dried
1/2 stick melted butter
1 1/2 lemons
about 10 cloves of garlic (don't be scared it's not THAT much)
salt
pepper
2 onions
orange
1 bunch fresh thyme

Recipe: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Make sure the chicken is completely dry before you start working with it. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the  melted butter. Using a brush if you have, or your fingers if you don't, coat the chicken in the melted butter lemon mixture. Be thorough and get errywhere. Tuck half of the garlic cloves under the skin in various places, and scatter the rest around the pan. Generously sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, turning it over and ensuring you cover it. Don't be stingy!!!  Cut the oranges in half, and fill the cavity of the chicken with the squeezed lemon, one of the oranges, and the bunch of thyme.

Truss the chicken, it helps keep the structure and ensures even cooking. Sounds hard but is so easy, look it up on youtube. Slice each onion in thirds ring wise and scatter them around the pan, along with the other halved orange and lemon. Roast in your oven for about an hour and 20 minutes, until a thermometer in the chicken reads 170 degrees or the juice runs clear when the thigh is cut.

 TADA. With this as my last meal, maybe the end wouldn't be so bad../

Crispy on the outside, and juicy on the inside

now thats how I'm leaving planet Earth
xoxo
hungreegirl.


No comments:

Post a Comment