Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Clams on Clams on Clams


Last week I got a call from my Dad. “Come to my office, I’ve got some fresh clams for ya!” Weird phone call, yes, but I was on my way. My Dad’s friend had given him some fresh clams *THANK YOU!* he had caught that past weekend and I was in charge of cooking them. My head was spinning with plans. So many broths and sauces, too few clams! Well, I couldn’t settle on one so I decided to split up the clams, add some shrimp, and make two different broths, one White Wine Lemon Butter, and one Thai Coconut Curry. The broths were sick. The White Wine was light and buttery and the wine flavor had perfumed the entire dish. Cooked with leeks, onions, and some chives, we devoured the clams then drank this as soup. YUM. The Thai Coconut Curry broth was KICKIN. It had spice, bold flavors, and a fresh aftertaste of cilantro and lime. Complete with some sliced mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and hot peppers, it was heaven.  With two bowls each, we silently slurped and slowly downed each one of our bowls, using thick pieces of olive oil herbed grilled bread to sop up the sauces. I knew I hit success when I caught Jake nodding to himself and smacking his lips. #SUCCESS. I also couldn’t decide which one I liked better. I’d have some of one, then try the other, think I liked the second better, but then go back to the first and change my mind. Not a bad problem to have though, am I right?
 Clams in a White Wine, Lemon, and Butter Sauce

Ingredients
Olive oil
4 tbs butter
2 large leeks
½ a Vidalia onion
3 green spring onions
1 handful fresh chives
1 handful fresh rosemary leaves
2 cloves garlic
¾ of a bottle dry white wine.
3 cups water
2 lemons
6 shrimp cleaned, peeled, devained
20 large clams

for garnish: melted butter, fresh chopped chives

Recipe: Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil. Heat on medium high. Once hot add the butter and let it melt. Once melted, throw in the leeks, onions, chives, and garlic. Cook down until leeks are soft, about 10 minutes. Add in the wine. Let the wine reduce a little, so some of the alcohol can burn off. Let it simmer for about 8 minutes. Then add the water and juice of the 2 lemons. Let it come to a boil. Once it is at a rolling boil, add the clams/shrimp. Cover the pot and let cook for about 10 minutes, until the shells of the clams open. Keep an eye not to overcook them. 
 Once done, spoon into large bowls. Top with a drizzle of melted butter and some fresh chives. Serve with grilled bread.
 I mean is this nice or is this nice?

Clams in a Thai Coconut Curry Broth

Olive oil
1 tbs minced ginger
½ a Vidalia onion
1 cup mushrooms of your choice
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 habanero pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups water
2 stalks lemongrass
1 cup cherry tomatoes
2 tbs curry powder
juice of 3 limes
1 ½ tsp salt
6 shrimp,
20 large clams cleaned, peeled, devained

*you control the spice/heat/kick of this with the peppers
for garnish: cilantro, lime

Recipe: Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil. Heat on medium heat until hot. Once hot, turn down to medium heat and add the ginger, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook down, about 10 minutes, until onions and mushrooms are extremely tender. Add the coconut milk and water and mix well. Then add the lemongrass stalks, tomatoes, curry powder, limes, and salt. Add more salt to taste. Stir the pot and let the mixture simmer and come to a boil. Add the clams and shrimp, cover the pot, and let steam until the shells open, about 10 minutes. 
 Serve in large bowls with grilled bread.
 SO GOOD.
 and I mean is this a dream bite or what?
 yes, i'm catering now. call me.

gladly clammy
xoxo
hungreegirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment