Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Machine-less Blueberry Fro Yo

Who doesn't like frozen yogurt? It's my dearly beloved ice cream's lighter cousin and can be just as tasty and filling, but can also be made much healthier. Fro yo fills that cold sweet craving on a hot day and can be topped with so many wonderful things that it also makes the perfect snack. Well, I received a request for a recipe for frozen yogurt that didn't require a fancy machine. Upon receiving this request, I felt the need to act quickly because 1) I love fro yo, and 2) I wanted to see if I could make a creamy one without a machine. I'm happy to report that my mission was a success. My machine-less Blueberry Fro Yo was creamy, thick, and utterly delicious. It stays creamy due to an active freezing process that requires you to whisk it while it freezes, ensuring that it doesn't ice over. Replace the blueberries with your favorite fruit and you can enjoy batches of homemade fro yo all summmmma long. I used Greek yogurt as my yogurt base which adds a tart flavor, something I'm fond of with my fro-yo. If you like yours sweet, use a plain vanilla base instead and add some more sugar, a dash of vanilla extract, and a lil drop o honey.


Machine-less Blueberry Frozen Yogurt

Recipe

2 cups blueberries, frozen or fresh
2 tbs water
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs granulated sugar
2 cups plain greek yogurt, or any plain yogurt *the greek yogurt gives it a nice tart taste
3/4 cup 2% milk

Recipe: In a saucepan, bring the blueberries, water, lemon juice, and sugar to a low boil. Let simmer for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. 
Once cooled, use a fork to slightly smash the blueberries. In a bowl combine the yogurt and milk and whisk together until smooth. Whisk in the smashed blueberries and their juice. 
Pour the mixture into a pan and put in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, remove your pan from the freezer and whisk the mixture furiously. Scrape the frozen bits from the sides and incorporate them into the mixture. This will ensure that your fro-yo stays creamy.Repeat this for 2 hours. 
 keepin it CREAMY.
After 2 hours of active freezing time, either eat your fro-yo or put into a sealed airtight container back in the freezer. 
Serving suggestions: top with fresh blueberries, fresh fruit, or granola
and i mean if it wasn't so yummy i could just stare at the color all day long..
whoooole blueberries crushed up in the mix. MMM.

i have the blues
xoxo
hungreegirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment