Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes

Alright, birthday celebration for me ROUND 2. When I was brainstorming for my next cupcake fiasco I took inspiration from something I hold dearly to my heart: ice cream. I'm that girl that orders the ice cream sundae/banana split. If you're going for ice cream, GO BIG OR GO HOME. These cupcakes are summery, fun, and make the perfect dessert for a hot sunny BBQ or a scorching pool day. Think of these as a cupcake's answer to the ice cream sandwich. They are also totally customizable. You like vanilla ice cream? You like chocolate? You like strawberry? No problem. That goes for toppings too. Pick your favorite sprinkles, sauces and sundae favorites. The choice is yours. Today I went for a pretty classic combination of vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate sauce and sprinkles. The cupcake gets a hollowed out and filled with the ice cream, and then the top of the cupcake is put back on. Fluffy whipped cream is heaped on top and then its toppings galore. I'm going to be the first to admit, these are totally, ridiculously, scandalously, almost shamefully, lip-smackingly delicious. But hey its my birthday pre-week/week/week after celebration so I do what I want.

Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes

Ingredients

1 Bowl Vanilla Cupcake Base *recipe from How Sweet It Is
2 egg whites
4 tbs sugar
4 tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
3 tbs milk

2 cups cream
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbs powdered sugar

1 cup of your favorite ice cream
assorted toppings, some suggestions:
sprinkles, chocolate sauce, marshmallow sauce, caramel, butterscotch, walnuts, cherries, marshmallows, M&M's, gummy bears

Recipe: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk the egg whites and sugar together. Whisk in the butter and vanilla until well combined. Gradually whisk in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Make sure to scrape the sides and get all the dry bits on the side incorporated. Slowly mix in the milk. Fill greased cupcake holders or cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 12 minutes until the top is golden brown or a tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool.

For the whipped cream: In a bowl fitted with an electric mixer combine the heavy cream, vanilla, and sugar. Beat on high for 6 minutes, until stiff peaks form.

Assembly: Cut the top off of each cupcake. Using a spoon, hollow out the center to make a hole big enough to fit the scoop of one ice cream scooper.
Scoop out your favorite ice cream and put it into the hollow of the cupcake. Put the top back on to the cupcake, sandwiching the ice cream between the cupcake base. Pipe a generous amount of whipped cream on top. Add with your desired toppings. Eat/serve immediately!

I know these upcoming pix are super similar but I couldn't choose and they are so pretty I know you won't mind.
now THIS is an ice cream sundae I want all day erry day
forget being an Ice CREAM Sundae. This is an Ice DREAM Sundae.

Sundae Fundays
xoxo
hungreegirl.



No comments:

Post a Comment