Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Mairzy Doats: Oatmeal, Coconut, Blueberry Cookies

Its been a while, I know, and I'm here to deliver you a peace offering as a form of apology. Hope you'll forgive me. I was ITCHING to bake and was rummaging through my pantry taking inventory of my ingredients when I started pulling out things that looked promising. A container of oats. A ziplock of dried blueberries. A package of sweetened shredded coconut. What to do, what to do...And then it hit me. These three things could be paired seamlessly together in the form of a butter packed, sugar filled, maple rich cookie. YUM. Say buh-bye to the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie you know, because these are just so much better. Its like trading your Nintendo for a Play Station 3; yes the Nintendo is a golden oldie, but in a contest, sometimes the PS3 can just totally kick its ass. And in this case, thats what my version of "Oatmeal Raisins" do. They KICK ass. These are crispy around the edges, and just soft enough in the middle. The dried blueberries are plumper and sweeter then raisins and when bitten into they burst and release a rich almost juicy explosion. The coconut lends an element of texture making for a delicate cookie that's got some real depth. Today was supposed to be the start of me being healthee. I guess there's always tomorrow... Oh and the name? Its after my old favorite children's song that Jake and I rediscovered tonight. I always thought it was about "oats" not "doats" so it just seemed appropriate. 
Mairzy Doats: Oatmeal, Coconut, Blueberry Cookies, inspired by Judy Rosenberg 

Ingredients
Recipe
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
9 1/2 tbs butter (1 stick and 1 1/2 tbs) room temperature
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbs dark corn syrup
1 tbs maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 cup dried blueberries

Recipe: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda, set aside. In a bowl attached to an electric mixer cream the butter and sugars. Cream for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the syrups, vanilla, and egg and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula to ensure all the bits are incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture on a low speed. Mix until just well combined. Add the oats, coconut, and blueberries and mix on low for 1 minute. Chill for at least 45 minutes. <---VERY important.
Form the dough into 2 inch round balls. Place evenly on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown and the centers are still soft. Let cool on a rack and eat warm or store in an airtight container. 
Do you have a bandaid? No, Why? Cause I scraped my knee falling for these...*lame IK jut go wit me
 when Lil Wayne sings 6 foot 7 foot he's talking about a stack of cookies..who knew?
 nice solo shot...check out all that buttery blueberry coconutty sugary goodness
 angled shot.
 and a look inside...I'd be a surgeon/cannibal if the inside of people looked like this.

PEACE Oatmeal Raisin *Nintendo ILY*
xoxo
hungreegirl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment