Blog has moved, searching new StayHungree.com.

Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Homemade Ricotta Cheese

Okay so I'll admit that I'm a good cook, and I know that. But sometimes there are moments where I have to praise myself and acknowledge my own genius, and this is one of them. Ricotta cheese is one of those things I used to take for granted. I consistently bought it out of a package, with no qualms, and ate it happily. Now things have changed. I will NEVER be able to buy grocery store ricotta again because in no way can it compare the the homemade one that I made tonight. Besides being 10x more delicious, fluffier, and lighter, it was also so easy it would be pure laziness to go for the store bought option. In under 20 minutes I had a floaty and delicate ricotta that put the store bought version to shame, so airy that it melted in my mouth. It was also one of the coolest things to make as you can really watch the curds form and come together. Eat it plain. Sprinkle some honey and salt on it and smear it on some toast. Put it in a lasagna. It doesn't matter what you do, it will transform whatever your eating to something unforgettably delicious.

Homemade Ricotta Cheese

Ingredients
3 quarts whole milk (12 cups)
2 cups heavy cream
salt
2 lemons

Recipe: Pour the milk, cream, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring every so often as to not scorch the bottom. Once it boils, add the juice of 2 lemons and turn the heat down to low. Stir until small curds form. Stir continuously for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour the mixture into a strainer lined with paper towels. Drain for 10 minutes, then put in the fridge covered to cool for at least 15 minutes.
Stirring as curds start to form...
 Draining that excess liquid..
 TADA !

its all homemade from here
xoxo
hungreegirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment